8 December 2020
Our Winter Tips
When temperatures drop most of us will be spending a lot of time indoors, and in these winter months it’s important to make sure that your home is safe and warm.
How to look after your home
Repairs and Maintenance
- Keep your heating on at a low constant temperature, rather than heating your home up quickly allowing it to cool down again.
- If you have a pre-payment meter, make sure you have sufficient credit.
- Close all blinds and curtains at night.
- Keep furniture away from radiators to allow heat to circulate freely.
- Keep outside doors shut and report any obvious draughts.
- Make sure to order repeat prescriptions in good time, don’t wait until you run out.
- Keep a snow shovel handy.
- Be aware of where your grit bins are.
- Stay at home in really bad weather, even if that means re-arranging non-urgent appointments.
- If you do have to venture out in bad weather, ensure you have adequate clothing. Wrap up in plenty of layers, and don’t forget hats, scarfs and gloves.
- Look out for your neighbours in extreme weather and give your neighbours your phone number in case of emergencies.
- If you have a mobile phone, make sure that it has sufficient credit.
Also, remember to...
- Know how to turn off your gas.
- Know how to turn off your power.
- Check where your stopcock valve is for turning off your water.
- Check overflows are not running.
- Check taps are not dripping.
- Check tank jacket is fitted.
- Check door locks are working.
- Keep a torch handy.
Useful telephone numbers
- Water – 0800 0778 778
- Electricity – 105
- Gas – 0800 111 999