Your property lease

The lease agreement you have signed is a legal document and sets out the conditions of your lease, your rights and the responsibilities of Veterans Housing Scotland as the landlord and you as our tenant.  Please read it carefully and keep it in a safe place.

Moving in to your property

You now have the keys to your property, which has been completed to our buildings and leasing standards and has been accepted by you.  You and your family will be excited and keen to make it your home.

Your new home is unfurnished and ready for you to add your own floor covering / carpeting, white goods, furniture and generally decorate to suit your own taste. Please note, however, that if your property is an upper flat you cannot install hard flooring. Information on carrying out specific home improvements or alterations is given under ‘looking after your home’.

The following matters are your specific responsibility and should be actioned immediately or as soon as possible on once you have access to your property: 

On the first day of occupancy take note of the meter readings for gas and electricity and pass them on to a relevant utility company, keeping a copy of them for your own information (taking a photo of each of the meters is helpful).

Inform the local authority of your occupation of the property for the purposes of Council Tax and local services

Any connections to the gas mains or electric for appliances must be carried out by a qualified trades person, if you need support please call your Property Manager who can support.

It is not uncommon for small snagging issues to become apparent once you move into your home.  Please report them as soon as possible to the Veterans Housing Scotland Central Office team, we are responsible for ensuring the property is always repaired to the correct standard. 

Take note of the routine and emergency numbers for repairs and keep them in a safe place.

Looking after your home  

We want you to make your property a home for you and your family to enjoy. It goes without saying that we hope you will take all reasonable care to avoid damage to your home and any neighbouring properties, but accidents do sometimes happen and so we ask that any repairs required or damage is reported to the Central Office team immediately.

We take pride in preparing the properties for occupation and our Property Management Companies, other partners and contractors we work with are committed to carrying out any repairs to a satisfactory standard.

If you need to make specific adaptations to your home, beyond basic decoration - for mobility, health or other reasons, you must first speak with the Central Office team for approval of plans. The Tenant must obtain appropriate planning permission, building warrants and / or listed building consent where improvements have been authorised in advance and in writing by Central Office.

Typically, approval must be sought in advance for works including installing a shower, replacing or moving fixtures such as lights, kitchen units, doors, taps or electric sockets, erecting a shed, fence, satellite dishes* or other external structures and / or undertaking any internal or external alterations.

*Satellite dishes are permitted but must be installed within the garden and not on the building itself and Veterans Housing Scotland  will not be responsible for the cost of re-erecting any such aerial or dish, which has been removed to carry out repairs.

When a tenant moves out of the property, accepting fair wear and tear conditions, they may be required to return it to its original condition prior to any alterations unless approved by Central Office.   

Unless otherwise agreed in writing by Central Office, no alterations or additions to the gas or electrics should be carried out by tenants.  If damage to our property was caused by a tenant, their family or visitors, they may be charged by the Central Office for any repair.

A tenant may be charged for an emergency call out if the repair in question could have been carried out within normal working hours.

Insuring your home

Veterans Housing Scotland will insure the fabric and fittings of your property. However, we are not responsible for insuring any of your personal belongings so you must arrange your own insurance cover for these.

It is our policy to encourage our tenants to insure the contents of their home and to check regularly to see if the sum insured covers the full replacement value of their possessions. You are advised to select a policy which covers you for damage to landlord’s fittings.  The Central Office team can advise further on this


I feel part of a wider family with the communication and support from Veterans Housing Scotland, and really appreciate them keeping in touch and offering advice and updates as necessary.

Daniel Stott – Veteran, 3 Rifles