Please read and understand your Tenancy Agreement, this is important as it will help you understand your responsibilities and help foster good community and neighbour relations. The sections below highlight ares of specific responsibility.  If you are unsure about any of these matters please speak with a member of the Central Office team.  

In general tenants are responsible for meeting the costs of the following:

  • Pest and vermin control, although Veterans Housing Scotland must repair, where possible, the building to prevent pest infestation.
  • Damage caused through neglect or misuse of the property by the tenant, their family, or visitors.
  • Upkeep of any common areas where these costs are not met by the landlord.
  • Replacing light bulbs.
  • Replacing lost keys and meeting the cost of re-entry if the tenant is locked out.

Tenants' own fittings remain the tenant’s responsibility unless we formally agree to adopt it, and ownership of any such fittings reverts to Veterans Housing Scotland when the tenancy ends.

Garden Maintenance

You are responsible for the maintenance of the property’s garden and must keep all your designated garden areas well maintained and tidy, including any trees, grass, shrubs, or weeds. Where appropriate, you should take your turn in cleaning common areas and / or maintaining shared garden areas. 

Veterans Housing Scotland is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of communal garden areas and will arrange for these to be maintained on a regular basis.

Refuse and waste disposal

You must dispose of your household refuse in a considerate and proper manner, bagged if being placed in a communal bin, and placed in the allocated areas.   Do not put hot ash in bins, please clean your bins regularly to prevent them from smelling and do not overfill the bin or leave rubbish outside your property.  Where refuse is uplifted from the street, bins should be put out on time, and the bins returned to the bin store as soon as possible after collection. Recycling facilities should be used wherever possible. The Central Office team can give advice on appropriate recycling practices.

If you have larger items of refuse, you must make appropriate arrangements to have these collected.

Car parking

You and your neighbours should show due consideration when parking vehicles in shared parking spaces.  Unless you have a space specifically allocated to you, parking is on a first come first served basis.  All vehicles parked must be roadworthy, insured, and taxed. 

The parking of caravans, boats, trailers, or commercial vehicles is not permitted on any of our properties, unless permission has been previously sought from the Central Office team. 

Respecting your neighbours

Antisocial behaviour will not be tolerated, and all complaints will be acted upon and may lead to legal action being initiated for a breach of your Tenancy Agreement and in some cases involvement of the Police. Such a breach could be triggered by any of the  following (these are just some examples are not an exhaustive list) :

  • Excessively loud noise, this includes, but is not limited to including the use of TV’s, music sound systems and speakers,  radios, musical instruments, and DIY tools.
  • Verbal or physical abuse to your neighbours, staff or the charities volunteers.
  • Failure to control pets including allowing them to foul or cause damage to another person’s property or common areas.
  • Allowing the condition of your home or any fixtures or fittings we have provided fall below our standards and which no longer meet the conditions of the tenancy.
  • Using your property or allowing it to be used for any illegal activity or immoral purposes including the using or selling of unlawful drugs or selling alcohol.
  • Vandalising or damaging our property, the neighbourhood or damaging neighbours’ property.
  • Leaving rubbish in unauthorised places.
  • Committing or inciting any act of harassment, including discrimination, or any act of violence against any person in the property or neighbourhood for whatever reason. 
  • Using, carrying  or storing offensive weapons or firearms.
  • Parking un-roadworthy or un-taxed vehicles in the garden or driveway of the property or in the neighbourhood.   

If you are affected by other people’s antisocial behaviour, you should keep a written record of the incidents, with dates and times. Depending on the seriousness of the situation and how badly it affects you, you should first report it to the police or your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau, or your local council’s antisocial behaviour team who should be able to give you more advice on these matters.  You must also inform the Central Office team.

Should Veterans Housing Scotland receive complaints about the behaviour of any tenant or their families an investigation will be carried out and thereafter steps within the the following process will be followed as deemed appropriate by us:

  • Write to tenants to explain that their behaviour is causing concern and ask them to modify and improve their behaviour.
  • Advise on noise reduction.
  • Ask local authorities to apply for an antisocial behaviour order against the offending tenant.
  • Apply to the First Tier Tribunal to prevent a tenant behaving in a certain way.
  • Issue a notice to evict the offending tenant.

Leaving your home empty

If you leave your home for a period of more than 28 days, without having discussed and agreed this with the Central Office, it will be assumed that you have abandoned the property and we will therefore terminate the lease and apply to the First Tier Tribunal for an order to repossess the property.  

If you do leave your home for any length of time, you will be responsible for making sure that it is locked and secure, and that any forming part of it is kept in good condition whilst you are away.


Condensation in a property may lead to dampness and so various steps need to be followed to manage the circulation of air throughout your home and help reduce any unnecessary problems occurring which might lead to dampness in the property. 

Should there be any sign of dampness at any time then you should contact the Central Office as quickly as possible so that we can arrange investigation of the matter by professional experts; please note that if it is discovered that dampness within the property is as a result of your lifestyle rather than any underlying building problem, you may be charged for any remedial work that is required to be carried out.  You should therefore:

  • Where possible keep window vents open.
  • Open windows after bathing or cooking and use extractor fans if fitted.
  • Ensure a tumble dryer, if fitted in the property, is vented to the outside of the property (permission is required for a vent).
  • Heat the property efficiently.
  • Ensure cupboards or wardrobes are not overfilled so that air can circulate.
  • Open windows at some point during the day if using a clothes airer.

Frost damage

It is your responsibility to reduce the impact of frost damage and burst pipes in your property. You can do this by following these simple steps:

  • Setting your thermostat on your heating to at least 10 degrees centigrade.
  • Keeping internal doors open to help with air circulation.

If you do have burst or frozen pipes please turn off the water at the stopcock and the mains electricity in case water comes into contact with the wiring, lights, or appliances. You should also turn off the water heater, if fitted, and turn on all the taps to drain down the system.  Please contact your Property Manager or your “out of hours emergency number” and let any neighbours know who might also be affected. 

Pets in the property

We understand the significant contribution pets can have for our tenants’ wellbeing. If you have or intend to have a pet in your home then you will need to speak with the Central Office team first as permission to have a pet in the property is required. Please note that permission will not be granted to keep reptiles, mice, rats, or insects in the property.  

Pets must always be kept under proper control.  If complaints or concerns are raised by neighbours about the behaviour of pets we may cancel our permission to have a pet in the property. No more than two medium sized dogs can be kept in a property at any one time.


I feel part of a wider family with the communication and support from Veterans Housing Scotland, and really appreciate them keeping in touch and offering advice and updates as necessary.

Daniel Stott – Veteran, 3 Rifles